George Woolard recently published a book called Messaging where he describes a new approach to teaching English. I have created a lesson using this approach which I would like to share with you.
1. Start with a video. Ask the students to watch the video and match the places and the things there.
The correct answers are:
Sedloňov – A big tree and church
Gory Stolowe – 656 stairs, Hell
Skutina – Military bunker
Nové Město nad Metují – Castle
Blodne Kameny – Pleasant walk, views
Karlow – DinoPark
2. Ask the students to translate the sentences from the video into their Mother Tongue.
3. Go through the phrases and ask the students to repeat them and translate them. Here there would be suitable to include a memory activity for the students to remember the words. I love using random repeat or flashcards.
4. Ask the students to finish the sentences in a way they want. They can use a dictionary or they can ask you. After 5 minutes elicit the language and write it on board. Students should write down the expressions they consider useful.
5. Having been given all the language they should prepare a speech about their holiday. Ask them to speak for 3 minutes first to their partner. Then swap partners and they should speak for 2 minutes but they should say the same amount of sentences. Then they should swap partners again and speak for 90 seconds.